The new hook block is fitted to the Musgrave Gantry Crane.

Apr 2, 2020 | Latest, Uncategorized

The restored travelling gantry crane was reinstalled into the Musgrave Engine House in March last year but it was missing the hook block, this was the only major part of the crane to go missing after the Hafod-Morfa Copperworks shut in 1980. A new design was drawn up based on detailed scaling from old photographs together with lengthy discussions to ensure the dimensions were matched with modern components and standards. The design was then approved by Cadw.

The new plan was drawn up R.C.Jones(Lifting) Limited

No original crane and hook block drawings were found in 4 years of searching the Musgrave Collection in the Bolton Archives. On our last visit to the archives (which took place after the new hook block was designed) we did find a crane drawing for 1909 with a hook block for a different works, and we are very pleased to say that it does look very similar to the new design drawn up by R.C Jones(Lifting) Limited who have done a great job in the design and production of the new hook block.

This is the only plan we found in the Musgrave Collection in Bolton Archives showing a hook block on a crane .

The new hook block arrived at the Henderson Engineering workshop in resplendent red (for health and safety purposes), looking very large and weighing in at 120Kg which is almost twice as heavy as Tom!

The new hook block arrived at Henderson Engineering looking very shiny and very red!

The hook block was fitted on 21st February and this proved to be a relatively straightforward task. Keith, standing on the new basement infill panels is watching on while Tom adds some grease to ensure the mechanism works smoothly. 

A comparison of photos of the old and new hook block inside the Musgrave Engine House show the proportions are spot on….well done Tom on your extensive research.

The easiest way to compare the hook blocks in the photos above is to count the bricks on the back wall to get an idea of the height and width.

Thanks to Weaver Contractors and City and County of Swansea for facilitating this work. The engine house is looking great with the new basement infill panels which allowed us to freely walk around in the Musgrave Engine House when fitting the new hook block.  All the controls on the crane worked well and we can’t wait to make use of it. The hook block has now been winched up and is waiting for some action (subject to the crane being load tested and gaining the appropriate certification).

The crane is finally complete and able to crane!
12. CANAL, TRAMWAY AND ABUTMENT | CAMLAS, FFORDD TRAM AC ATEGWAITH

12. CANAL, TRAMWAY AND ABUTMENT | CAMLAS, FFORDD TRAM AC ATEGWAITH

“Entrance to Hafod works c.1850”   City & County of Swansea:  Swansea Museum  Llun ar y chwith |  “Mynedfa i waith Hafod o gwmpas 1850  Dinas a Sir Aberatwe; Amgueddfa Abertawe Built in the 1860s and standing on the banks of what was once the Swansea canal, the...

11. VIEW OVER THE VALLEY | GOLYGFA DROS Y DYFFRYN

11. VIEW OVER THE VALLEY | GOLYGFA DROS Y DYFFRYN

 “Aerial View of Hafod Morfa Copperworks c.1920s”.  © National Museum Wales  | “Golygfa o'r awyr o waith copr Hafod Morfa o gwmpas yr 1920'au. © Amgueddfa CymruKEYA Rolling Mill / Melin RolioB Clock Tower / Tŵr ClocC Laboratory Building / Adeilad y LabordaiD Chimney...

10.HAFOD LIMEKILN | ODYN CALCH HAFODN

10.HAFOD LIMEKILN | ODYN CALCH HAFODN

“View of the limekiln between the chimneys”. © Sandy Johns | “Golygfa'r odyn calch rhwng y simneiau” ©Sandy Johns Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module...

9*. FORMER PENTRE MAWR WASTE TIP | TOMEN GWASTRAFF PENTRE MAWR

9*. FORMER PENTRE MAWR WASTE TIP | TOMEN GWASTRAFF PENTRE MAWR

Hafod waste tip at Aberdyberthi Street pre-1961 City & County of Swansea:  Swansea Museum | Tomen gwastraff gwaith Hafod wrth Stryd Aberdyberthi - cyn 1961 Dinas a Sir Abertawe. Amgueddfa Abertawe   Pentrehafod School was opened in 1976 but from the 1860s, until...

9. HAFOD COPPERWORKS OFFICES | SWYDDFA GWAITH COPR HAFOD

9. HAFOD COPPERWORKS OFFICES | SWYDDFA GWAITH COPR HAFOD

"Feeder canal to Hafod Copperworks” © Crown copyright: RCAHMW | “Camlas cyflenwi iwaith copr Hafod © Hawlfraint y goron; RCAHMW Originally the offices of the Hafod Copperworks of Vivian & Sons, the building opened in 1863.  When it was no longer required as office...

8. SWANSEA CANAL & DOCK | CAMLAS ABERTAWE A’R PORTHLADD

8. SWANSEA CANAL & DOCK | CAMLAS ABERTAWE A’R PORTHLADD

"Feeder canal to Hafod Copperworks” © Crown copyright: RCAHMW | “Camlas cyflenwi iwaith copr Hafod © Hawlfraint y goron; RCAHMW Swansea Canal was incorporated in 1794 and fully opened in 1798. The main aim was to open up the coal trade further up the Swansea valley. ...

7. HAFOD COPPERWORKS ENTRANCE | MYNEDFA GWAITH COPR HAFOD

7. HAFOD COPPERWORKS ENTRANCE | MYNEDFA GWAITH COPR HAFOD

View of the Hafod Copperworks (Engraving 1880) | Golygfa gwaith copr Hafod (Engrafiad 1880)This  gateway was the main entrance to Hafod Copperworks, being accessed by a bridge over the Swansea Canal. The Hafod works offices (now Landore Social Club) and the limekiln...

6. VIVIAN & SONS | VIVIAN A’I FEIBION

6. VIVIAN & SONS | VIVIAN A’I FEIBION

"Hammering out a copper pan c.1920s”  City & County of Swansea:  Swansea Museum Collection  |   'Morthwylio padell gopr o gwmpas yr 1920’au.  Dinas a Sir Aberatwe; Casgliad Amgueddfa Abertawe  The Cornish entrepreneur John Vivian opened the Hafod Copperworks in...

5. ENGINE HOUSES AND CHIMNEYS | TAI PEIRIANT A SIMNEIAI

5. ENGINE HOUSES AND CHIMNEYS | TAI PEIRIANT A SIMNEIAI

The Renovated Engine Houses and the Chimneys  2021 © Friends of Hafod Morfa Copperworks  | Y tai peiriant wedi'w adnewyddu a'r simneiau 2021 © Cyfeillion gwaith copr Hafod Morfa.  Completed in 1910, the Musgrave engine house replaced an older engine house from 1818,...

4. V&S LTD No 1 SHED | V&S SIED RHIF 1

4. V&S LTD No 1 SHED | V&S SIED RHIF 1

V & S Ltd No 1 Shed | V&S Sied Rhif 1 Copyright @Phil Trotter The Vivian locomotive shed was built in the 1920s for the first standard gauge Garrett articulated steam locomotive in Britain. The locomotive, was built by Messrs Beyer, Peacock & Co Ltd of Manchester,...